How To Handle a Slip And Fall On Government Property

Slip and fall accidents are one of the most common personal injury cases in Queens NY. They involve any situation where there was water or liquids on the floor and a person slips and falls to the floor injuring themselves.

A slip and fall is a reference to a negligence case, where precautions were not taken to maintain a clean environment. This is where an experienced local personal injury attorney can step in, and help to get you the compensation you deserve. 

Property owners have an obligation to keep their property safe to a reasonable extent or they accept the liability of the injury or another party. This is true for retail locations, restaurants, and even government property. 

Indoor and outdoor government property, like the courthouse, the DMV, community centers, and more, all must follow the same basic set of guidelines regarding liability and negligence and the government has a responsibility to keep the area clean and safe for the public.  Also, the accident and/or injury must be caused by their negligence

The State of New York, Queens County, and the federal government also have strict notice deadlines. The statute of limitations might be shorter than it would in the private market and it is vital to get the procedures correct. 

The correct government entity must be notified of the injury in advance before any legal action is taken. If you do notify the correct government entity, or take too long to notify them, the claim can be denied. This is worth stressing, because there are ALOT of government entities, at various levels of government that often have overlapping responsibilities.

If the accident was local, having a Queens slip and fall lawyer helping you from the start can help the case to go quicker, and ensure the procedures and timelines are followed.

Typically, the notice must contain important information like your information, where, when, and how the accident happened, and more. It is also worth noting that the monetary compensation when dealing with government property is often capped, at much smaller amounts than can be possible if claiming compensation from a company.

Of course, as soon as the accident occurs the most important thing to do is to seek medical attention, and try and gather evidence, documentation or witnesses while the accident is still fresh in everyone’s mind and before people begin to leave the location.

For all of our readers in Queens County NY who have been injured on government property due to a slip & fall, there is a local injury law firm who has years of experiencing helping people win their claims:

Ribowsky Law. 109-12 Jamaica Ave, Richmond Hill, NY 11418. (718) 659-5333.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *